"None of my Chinese friends like you"


What's that China Wife?  You mean your friends?

You mean the ones that have lived here forever and can’t speak more than a few sentences of English?  

Or are you referring to the group that doesn’t know what American food tastes like?  You know the types….

Maybe you are referring to those living behind those tall, forbidding, high gates that “are in business”?

Wait!  Perhaps you are simply thinking of those from “Bei Da” or QingHua” right?  The smug looks on their faces when they see our daughters competing against theirs.   Those with the knowing nod that communicates  something like,

“Those bastard children can’t keep up with ours”, followed by that all so discernible scoff and condescending glint in the eye that only Satan would love.

I’m confused….

Oh but I bet I’m missing someone else aren’t I?  Is it that vast, wide swath of female friends of yours, bored and full of instant innuendo whenever something remotely “interesting” takes place amongst their other bored friends?  The same group that in one collective voice can only gasp out to the “poor lady” whose Man has gone off to China 你要小心点!

You see, China Wife..it’s like this:  Your friends can’t “wow” me with tales of the Middle Kingdom.   
They can’t mesmerize me with the Mystery that is China.   So they just ignore me.    And you know what?  That’s ok.   Because your friends are all heathenly ugly, uber conservative, boring as all hell to talk to, or….just not my type.

I remember once in grad school when I finally met the nice, chubby husband of a buxom Beijing classmate.   I invited him once to come out and play football with us.   Of course he didn’t know what that was, but before he could even answer his wife simply said “no”. 

Well, me being me, I simply shot back, “that’s his decision not yours”.

And she just as quickly returned her own volley with, “he does whatever I tell him, too”.    And with a smug look on her face followed up with a simple “don’t talk to him anymore”.

So yeah, I guess I kinda know why some Chinese in America just don’t seem to like me very much.  Funny thing though, all those in China seem to love me!  And wouldn’t you know it, none of them speak English!

Am I to blame for your dearth of dinner party invitations from all your Chinese Christian friends?   

Yeah.  I probably am.  After all, it’s awkward for you when I’m the only one bringing a bottle of Cabernet to celebrate Jesus, isn’t it?  (And I’m the only one drinking it!) But sinner that I know I am, I’ve already got one foot in Hell, and that’s ok.  

But hey, you can go by yourself can’t you?  Pray to Jesus for my soul.  Something like that.

So I guess I don’t care if your friends don’t dig me.   I don’t.  You see, I’m more than comfortable in my own skin while being surrounded by others who are not.

Not my job to be everyone’s best friend.  I have a distinct talent for not giving one second’s thought as to whether I’m liked or not.  I stopped trying to win popularity contests in the 6th grade.  So don’t try and play mind games if you please.  Don’t try and “shame me”.   That’s so crude you know. Move on.

By the way, my attitude towards your Chinese friends does come with experience.

I don’t like being invited to dinner parties where all they have to drink is water.

I don’t like being invited to dinner parties where everyone forms a big circle and breaks out the bible and talks about how Jesus has changed their lives.   Or something like that.    I’d rather sleep in the basement, which I did once, than have to put up with a bunch of folks that drive leased German cars and own $800,000 houses with one eye towards keeping up with the Jones’.

Quite often at your “dinner parties”….their more like “chat parties”, I feel like I’m nothing more than the damn driver.  Or I’m simply the designated “talk to the old folks over 70” dude.   While the women eat “瓜子“ I’m stuck in the living room drinking bottled water on a Saturday Night endlessly stuck in the rut of polite conversation.

One should see the Old Folks when laowai breaks out the Mandarin.  Like a quarterback for whom the game has slowed, I can see the facial expressions as their brain processes a barbarian speaking their tongue.   I watch the phases….the blank look followed by the wrinkled forehead and finally by the glint in the eye climaxed with a smile spreading across their face as they realize they understand what I’m saying.

So maybe your hate needs a bit of context.

In your world you consider being liked by people as the basis for all life….I just don’t.  Sorry.
Am I sociable towards your friends?  I am.   Am I a sucker for polite conversation?  Nope.   And maybe, just maybe, that’s the rub?  You want me to sit there nodding for three hours with a bottled water in my hand, and I just can’t do it……!     After all, these are people that have chosen to move to America to pursue a better life, raise their kids here and….learn fuck all about American culture.  

So maybe because I already know all of this BEFORE the first word is spoken doesn’t help much, does it?

Maybe they’d simply be better off if your husband was Chinese?  Or maybe they’d be better off if your laogong did not speak Chinese?  Or never lived in China?  You get the picture?  A blank slate they could mold as they see fit.  Someone whose life experience hasn’t already altered his view of China, for better or for worse.  Like the manager I had when viewing thatmassive billboard of Deng Xiaoping in China simply pointed and asked, “Who’s that?”

Maybe that’s who they want me to be?  Another ignorant laowai they can talk to.  One with no burnished preconceptions of China.  I hear they’re out there  I hear they exist!

I’m just not one of them.

Comments

  1. They hate you because you can see through them.

    I have zero patience for awkward Chinese dinner parties when not in China. Fair enough when I'm there, but when I'm not in China, it's my rules. I went to one awful restaurant meal in London where the host started taking the piss non-stop from the moment I sat down - "Don't speak Chinese, foreigner's can't speak Chinese" and all that shit. When the food arrived I just asked the waiter to put it in a doggy bag and I took it and walked out. I didn't even pay! I've also ordered a pizza delivery during awkward Chinese dinner parties. The look on their faces when there's a knock on the door and I come back with a 12 inch margherita is priceless! Then I just sit at the table eating the pizza and saying that Chinese food is bu hao chi.

    But then again, I'm not married to a Chinese, so I can do what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Mersault....I must admit I cringed reading the top part, but you nailed the first and last sentences. In particular the last. I obviously dig China quite a bit, admittedly at times for some of the wrong reasons. However, the fact I am married to a Chinese does regulate my behavior somewhat. I'm never rude to anyone, per say, but yes body language is universal I suppose. All I can say is I believe myself, an imperfect representative of what our Glorious Western Culture represents, to be more patient, tolerant and understanding towards the Culture of the Heavenly Kingdom than most. As I'm usually the only laowai at a Chinese dinner party though, I'm afraid I must abide by their rules. And I know for a fact they wouldn't enjoy one of ours....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the foreigners can't speak Chinese type. Usually, those are the people that have no talent except speaking English, so they hate when a laowai steps on their game.

      Going back to your original post, I would rather talk to Old Folks anyway. Most Old Folks don't care about societal rules that much so they may have something interesting to say.

      Delete
    2. I'd say I agree with you on that. One can learn alot from the "old folks". Context for one. Many of today's old folks were red guards for instance during the Cultural Revolution. Listening to how their views slowly changed on Mao for instance is quite the education.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading your posts. Please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I refuse to speak or learn Chinese... but I have noticed that when I mention I lived/worked in china , I catch a glimpse of embarrassment. Just like the first commenter, they cringe when they realize you can see right through them... Most westerners are enamoured by "the chinese economic miracle" and "the model minority" and blind to the realities. It's like taking away their free pass.

    On the flip side of that, I can't friggin'stand how ignorant, and self-hating the pro-immigration rhetoric is. Which is why I always come back to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of thanks for the comment, and my apologies for the late reply. I wouldn't say I'm anti immigrant, but America today from when I was a kid 40 years ago has really, really changed. I am not educated as to any immigration quotas the US may have today, but I do believe the ease of travel and mobility has made immigration obsolete in some cases. For example the new 10 year visa between America and China.

    Today if one has a little bit of money to pay those very high international tuition rates, with the right major one can nearly "backdoor" immigration into America. Not so much India but with regards to China, sooner or later, America will probably have to figure out what to with Chinese immigration though.

    A country of 1.5 billion people simply cannot be contained. And they have lots of $, which is a shot in the arm to America's economy. But the Chinese backdoor immigration is of a scale simply unseen before. It will very interesting to see how America handles it in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KTV in China

The worst sex I've ever had with China Girl is with China Wife

Pros and Cons of a Chinese Wife