Time for more fluff......

Alright folks, time to catch up a bit.

First of all, a happy shout out to the newer countries/places for following my blog:
Aruba….(keeping up with this blog on the beach, eh?)
Congo, Zambia, Qatar, Croatia, Iran, New Caledonia(yep), Ukraine(glad you guys have time to read), and Moldova!

I’m still waiting on North Korea.

My overseas readers now upon occasion surpass my American readers.   At one time this was a 80-90% US dominated blog….but not anymore. 

(One thing I really wish I could do is filter my American views by State, but I don’t know how to do that.)

As you may have noticed, work has kept me from keeping up with the frequency of posts that I’d like to maintain.   For example, I did some consulting work for a major telecommunications company a few weeks ago, and as you can imagine, this type of thing, with the revenue potential involved, really commands my focus. 

My feeling however, is that I do have over 100 posts on my blog….(around 120 or so), and they are ALL relevant.    Our natural habits force us to browse/read posts from only the past few weeks or so, while ignoring the stuff I wrote 6 months earlier, etc.   So I’m always happy when I see someone reading something from a year earlier.

Even though you all have plenty to read(reread?), all the same, if I don’t write frequently enough, I get “the shakes”.

Still, the funny thing is that since I last did a “fluff” post , I’d reckon my readership has probably gone up 15-20% or so….while my comments on newer topics have quite frankly been pretty low.    Without question the feedback I get from folks tends to address older posts.

My slow march to the Pulitzer

As for my upcoming topics, I'm abt a month to six weeks behind.  That is, I have enough to fill that timeframe.  One in particular that's been on my mind for at least a year, but it's quite weighty, and the weighty ones always take TIME.

Why the mystery??

Thanks for further enlightening me of the following websites:
Bloglovin.com
Feedly.com
Getpocket.com
Semalt
Secretboy(blog?).com

Why some of you use the above sites to hide your identity is beyond me.  Or are these host sites used via VPN in China?  I confess I’m not sure.   I do get a daily dose of the above, however.  

My kids music, and the wife’s FACE

My oldest daughter came home from piano the other day, with watery eyes, telling me her piano teacher yelled at her again.  This type of crap really, really annoys me.   I know you are tired of hearing me bring it up, but the point of “teaching” music is for the student to “enjoy” it.  Right?  I have no ambitions of either of my daughters playing Carnegie Hall.  I don’t care.   What I want them to do is be proficient with an instrument, and to have the “will” to continue to play music once they’ve left the house. 

Constantly telling them they “suck”(my words) will not keep them willingly engaged in music.
My wife’s focus is on my children playing well, and finishing their assignments.  If my daughters do not do this, and the teacher is upset, fair enough.   But a balance needs to be kept.  The teacher has to remember that the student needs to “enjoy” the subject.   Problem is Chinese people want Chinese teachers, and that means learning from composers who have been dead 200 years.   

Relevance goes out the window.   Contemporary pieces an 11 year old may actually like?  Uh- oh. It’s also reflective(in my view), of how ignorant of child psychology a teacher can be.

I seriously doubt the 60 year old teacher of my children even knows what Lady Gaga looks like.
This obsession of Chinese wanting to use Chinese music teachers is silly.   Both of my daughters have to travel 25 miles for violin lessons.   I really don’t like this.  There are half a dozen good teachers within a 5 mile radius of where we live….no wait a second…none of them are Chinese, so they must suck. 

I find this obsession is more for my wife’s benefit than for that of the child.  While my wife needing to communicate with the teacher is important, it only re-enforces my wife’s need for face when lessons are practiced.   I see no consideration of student enjoyment taking the forefront. 

Tiger mom concluded

Tiger mom’s daughter finally gets a college….(see my earlier post about Yale).
This poor girl, while being the valedictorian of her class, was rejected by Yale, Harvard, Princeton…you get the picture.   She was accepted by Duke, though….and just when mom was about to lose hope, Columbia came through!  With a full scholarship!(?)

I questioned how an applicant could not get into Princeton but could still get a full ride somewhere else within the same strata….and I think her mom is lying.  I really do.  Not about going to Columbia, but about the scholarship.   But this is all I will ever think of this. 

Snowden

I’d mentioned he’d probably not get very far if he was Chinese.  I believe I’d said he’d be tried for treason and then executed. 


Now, after his latest revelations, is there any doubt he’s crossed the line? 
Snowden probably did a public service by revealing how the NSA spies on Americans(or how it could if they wanted to)

How does Snowden help America when he reveals which foreign leaders phones we’ve tapped?  And now he’s revealed that America had tapped into Huawei….(pretty impressive).  The unspoken implication being that it seems to have been within a “hairs breath” of being able to tap into 

Zhongnanhai.

I think it is very much the goal of America’s NSA to tap into everybody(if not already).   In my view, there is no question that the most feared organization on Earth should not be any countries particular military, but the American NSA.   They have the budget, the talent, and that’s that.    No matter what you hear, it will always be “cool” to work at a place with an unlimited budget.   These guys are doing things that no other place is doing.   Why?  Because if a private company attempted to mimic the actions of the NSA, it would be illegal, and ironically enough, people could go to jail. 
Not with the NSA!   Snowden only revealed what he knew.   I don’t think anyone has said Snowden knew “everything” that was going on.   

Back to Snowden, does his revealing who America spies on overseas make him a hero?   It’s pretty obvious that he’s revealed so much, that should he ever come back to America, he’s looking at life in prison.   He would be deluding himself into believing  that he will be given whistleblower status in America.  No way.  This guy will never see the light of day, should he return.  (Nevermind his revelations of domestic spying. )  Once he gave away foreign intelligence he was crossing the line.  I’m not sure how anyone can justify Snowden’s actions in this regard.  

My Qi

Now I’m referring to a post I wrote some time ago, when I decided to get myself “fixed”.  That is, have an outpatient procedure that would preclude me from no longer participating in anyone getting pregnant.  (you’ll recall my wife was so upset during this process she actually cried)


I find it is culturally unacceptable for Chinese Men to undergo such a procedure.   The husband of one lady we know actually ran out the door moments before his procedure was to begin.   (Frustrated by her cowardly husband, she actually had to undergo the procedure herself. )
It’s been a few years now since I’ve had my “procedure”, and I find it quite liberating.  I’ve had absolutely no regrets, as I knew I would not, and I recommend it for any man over 40, who already has “a nest” at home.   

And let’s be honest….having an overactive libido while in China can get one into hot water.  How to avoid?  (Get fixed!)   As a result, I’ve simply one less thing to worry about.   All that matters is that “My Drive” is still intact.   In the interim I’ve told my wife should she want another child, for the sake of having a son, she should look elsewhere. 

The Rabbit and the Snake

And lastly, a bit of disturbing news from the same Tiger Mom mentioned above.

We here in our neck of the woods have lots of animals.  The usual: moles, snakes, rabbits, chipmunks, etc.   I’m a bit of a garden enthusiast, and every spring try and plant a few things.  However, the rabbits in our area tend to eat most of our vegetable plants, and my luck is usually as a result much to be desired. 

Turns out the above Tiger Mom had the same dilemma and as a result came up with a solution:  her family’s solution was to simply create a rabbit trap, (whatever that is), to avoid their garden from being molested.   (let me say hear, yes I know that I can create a fence to keep the bunnies out, but quite frankly, it’s too time consuming and my wife has no interest in gardening.)
Well, what they did next I found quite disturbing(no they didn’t cook the poor thing).

Upon catching the rabbit, they simply kept it alive in its trap, until it starved to death.  That’s right.  Just kept it there. 

Is this not illegal?  Should it be?  This is so far beyond my cultural experience I didn’t know how to react when I heard the news. 

In my view they treat the snakes better: upon catching a snake they simply cook it for dinner.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KTV in China

The worst sex I've ever had with China Girl is with China Wife

Pros and Cons of a Chinese Wife