打打美国佬



I was on a bus many moons ago in Hangzhou.   A man held a child in his arms a few feet from me.  The bus on that day was not particularly crowded.  I had been on the bus only a few brief moments  when the child, probably around three casually pointed at me and without looking at his father asked.
这是什么东西?

Dad replied with a simple,
他是老外。

I was a bit surprised that a child that young could so easily discern the difference between a “laowai” and himself.   But he did.

With an equally casual air I commented to the dad something along the lines of,

I’m not a laowai but a 外国人“。

And therein lays the rub.

A laowai is an outsider.    A lot of folks consider it a slur.   Nigger, chink, what have you.  But I’m not here to throw off any angst or over the top indignation.    

It’s natural for what are basically ethnically monolithic societies to develop words for other people not like them.  The Japanese have a word for laowai.  It’s called gaijin.  They even have a somewhat polite version….gaikokujin.   However, I was rarely if ever called gaijin when living in Japan.   

Whereas in China, I was called laowai on a daily basis.

Except when I lived in Guangzhou.  

The humor of it all is for the first year of my stay in China I was called gwailo so damn frequently I 
simply thought it was Mandarin.    It wasn’t til I moved North that I actually first heard the word laowai.    

Within a society so heterogeneous as America but also one that goes out of its way to avoid offending one ethnic group after another, the word laowai is a slur plain and simple.   And just as plain and simple, in other countries it is not.    One is tempted to say a free press is the difference, but if true than what of Japan?    Are the origins of “laowai” racist?  I think so.  But history changes context(if you don’t believe me have you noticed there are now a few Southern Black Americans supporting the Rebel Battle Flag?)

After awhile I stopped being so damn sensitive to the perceived slight, or rather I just stopped perceiving it to be an insult.  I simply came to realize it’s simply another word for foreigner, and let it be.  After all, there are other ways to express ones feelings of a laowai.   If one digs deep enough into the archive you can find the story of when I was going to a club an while on my way up in an elevator a local girl gestured in my direction to her friends(in Mandarin of course), that “those kinds of people” like this club.  

Usually when I’m spoken of it is simply in passing(“he’s handsome”, or when seeing me wear shorts in 65 degree weather “foreigners are not afraid of the cold”).    But this time I just couldn’t let it slide and mentioned something like “Chinese like this club, too”)

In sum, if you still find yourself offended by something as widespread  and innocuous as being called a laowai, than it is probably time for you to go back home.   Or you can just realize it is part of the “cultural experience”.  Short of someone like a Yao Ming making a public service announcement on Chinese TV, this nickname for us foreigners will never go away.

But wait a minute.

What of 佬外?

As in 美国佬.

As in 打打美国佬!

One can say we are being semantical about things, but and mean the same thing and have the same pronunciation.   And they even have the same tone.

But as they have different characters than by definition they must have different meanings!

And they do.

So I went to Pleco.  Pleco defines as  “derogatory”.

And it defines 美国佬 as a derogatory word for American.   (I’ll leave it up to my readers from other nations to come up with China’s derogatory expression for your country.)

Is it possible the word that ticks off so many foreigners is actually佬外 rather than 老外? Yep, could be.  Than why is it if you ask a Chinese to write the character for what they just said they’ll write 老外?

To my knowledge 打打美国佬 came into popularity during the Korean War.  Remember it is not called the Korean War by the Chinese, but the 援朝抗美 .  “Aid Korea and resist America” War.  My wife’s grandmother taught her a song that was popularized during the Cultural Revolution that ended with the phrase 打打美国佬。

Chinese online chat groups are saturated with the phrase 美国佬。

Here are a few:
美国佬这么猖狂
My loose translation would be “The American’s are so savage”.

让美国佬有苦难….”let the American’s suffer misery

The funny thing about translating this if you try is everytime a translating SW sees 美国佬 it simply translates as “Americans”.    The proper translation should probably be something like “those American son of a bitches”, or “American bastards”…. “those motherfucking Americans”….

The internet is peppered with these phrases, all in a fairly denigrating and condescending manner.   America, because of its status and quite simply, because it stands in the way of China reclaiming its destiny, bears the brunt of that vast swath of bored Chinese citizenry with nothing else to do but go on line and post (or write a blog like me!) something about how America’s days are numbered, etc.

Now, could I go online and find something about “Chinks”?   I’m sure I could, so I looked it up.
There’s a cowboy clothing shop named Chinks.  A high school in Illinois called the Chinks, which changed its name.   


If one wishes to argue 老and 佬 are semantical I won't argue.

To the Chinese they are different simply because the characters are different.  End of story.   When a whole nation is taught the phrase 打打美国佬 an argument can easily be made that racism in a violent context is homegrown and comes from the top down.   Keep in mind I've also many times been called 外宾 or foreign guest.   But its been awhile.   It's the context of our times I guess.   Methinks this narrative is here to stay, and for a very, very long time at that.


Comments

  1. Wow, I thought this posting would get a bunch of comments. Must not be the usual foreigner crowd. The reality of living in East Asia includes dealing with this issue. If you can't deal with this issue, then you become one of those angry people posting on various websites about how racist ___ is. Of course being a 老外 has plenty of advantages too. Putting aside those who want to be douche bags and getting away with it, the 老外 if good enough in Chinese has the power to choose to speak in English or Chinese. I have been in plenty of situations where I spoke in Chinese first, and was treated just as badly as the local Chinese. So I just say I don't understand, and change to English. Now I have the power. Even ABCs/CBCs don't get this power. In your cases with the little kid or dance club girl, you could speak in Chinese so you were able to come back with a pithy remark. There were people back in the day who also hated the 外宾 term since it denotes being an outsider, even though it was supposed to be an honorable title. In short, there is plenty of hate/racism in the world. People need to learn how to manage it. Of course it sucks, but life isn't fair as they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all thx for your comment. I really don't know what my readers will respond to anymore, except for something sexually related. I've got a few of these actually in mind that I think are important to write about and someday may. Some of my best writing has had very little commenting, but to my relief when I want to vent about something and I guess the passion just shows through people will respond.

      I agree with what you say about "if you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen". Reddit is full of those types. Very negative towards China, but still they stay for some reason, don't they? I still find that when people do not want to speak with you directly they will just play the 听不懂 game. These types are usually uncomfortable around us 老外。

      Delete
    2. You and me both buddy. Take a look at my blog: I put hours into each post and yet I still can't garner the same amount of comment than I do if I go outside in, say, white socks. I used to have a few successful blogs back when I blogged in 2006-8 that generated hundreds of comments, but I'm guessing the GFW killed all of that.

      Delete
  2. I remember going to Shenzhen for the first time after years spent in North China. Everybody kept referring to me as 异国人. I was so used to 外国人 that I didn't understand at first. When I realised that I had evolved from an "Outside Country Person" to a "Different Country Person" I was overjoyed. I thought "Wow, the people in Shenzhen aren't so bad!" Then I went to the Windows of the World theme park and saw Chinese guys blacked up in shoe polish running around a fake African village with plastic bones in their noses. It was a mixed day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha well I can say I have never to my knowledge been referred to as a 异国人。 With all my time in SHZ, I much prefer to live and visit somewhere else to be honest. SHZ is so damn boring. If someone thinks otherwise dare I venture they've never been anywhere else?

    Glad you visit WoW....once is enough. I'm always taken aback by all the Chinese friends I have though who have lived in SHZ for years and have yet to go there. Why? Too pricey. And maybe crowded.

    But maybe 9 times out of 10, they still call me laowai. Less syllables I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides going to Hong Kong, what would you recommend doing in SHZ for someone who may be stuck there for a few weeks?

      Delete
    2. 2 weeks?

      Markets near customs...the kids with the namecards will see your deer in the headlights look as you get off the subway and drag you in.

      Hit the parks...lianhuashan gongyuan...shenzhen bay gongyuan...all nice trips...go early in the day!

      Don't make the above trips alone, no fun. Get someone from the factory or office to take you.

      Wutong Shan park....fantastic climb to the tv tower....tough as hell...for me anyway.

      Go to COCO Park for fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KTV in China

The worst sex I've ever had with China Girl is with China Wife

Pros and Cons of a Chinese Wife